Longton Rugby was first formed at Longton High School under the name of Old Longtonians. The Club’s first games were played in the 1930’s in a field off Cocknage Road, Dresden.
During the War all activity ceased and it was not until 1947 that the club was revived.
In 1952 the club was reformed using the facilities at the school along with the pitches on the Meir Aerodrome. Teas were taken at Caverswall Cricket Club and Weston Coyney Social Club.
As the club grew so did its necessity for a permanent home. Thanks to the hard work by the committee and the club’s members, we were able to open the doors to a new ground and clubhouse at Roughcote Lane just prior to the Christmas of 1975.
It was at Roughcote Lane that the club continued to flourish and thrive over the years. The main highlights have been promotion to the National leagues in 2003/2004 and the formation of a highly successful mini/junior section.
The next chapter in the Longton story was a tremendously exciting one and saw the club relocating to a multi million pound complex at Trentham Lakes.
It is thanks to the professionalism and dedication of the people that run the club that has made it possible for this to happen. The new move provided endless expansion opportunities and will enable Longton Rugby to become a centre of excellence that the whole of the Midlands, and indeed the country, can be proud of.